BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Main task: "Mute" Finished Opening Sequence

Preliminary Task: Finished Continuity Sequence

Friday 17 September 2010

Reflections on a film still shot


I took part in an activity where we had to compose and photograph film stills that connote a certain genre. Here is my favourite shot from within my group: 


1. Describe your shot and identify in what way it could be described as representing your chosen genre
MCU of feet with a hand dangling next to the feet. Frame within a frame - the bottom of the toilet cubicle door can be seen as well as the floor and some dark background on both sides. The feet are wearing dirty pink converse trainers with the laces untied, looking awkward, making the character look more vulnerable and in a mess. The dangling hand has black nail varnish and a bleeding cut on one hand, adding to the darkness of the shot (along with the shadows)and the blood adds gore and horror, signifying the slasher/thriller genre. It also suggests it is for teens as the shoes and nail varnish look like those of a teenage girl.

2. What did you actually do to achieve the effect?
I (the model) sat on the toilet (with the seat down!) and hung my hand by my feet. My hand was already bleeding from an unrelated incident earlier in the day so no fake blood was needed. Charley (the photographer of this shot) crouched down and pointed the camera under the cubicle. We turned all the lights off and just used a pag light to create a lit-up effect on the feet and feet, with shadows all around.

3. Identify what is successful about your shot
I think it actually looks pretty scary because of the blood and the creepy shadows in the background. The styling of the model clearly connotate that it is a film for teenagers, and I like the way the pink of the trainers and the red of the blood stand out from the darkness of the rest of the photo. I also like the way it is shot from under the cubicle, as it suggests that the killer/enemy is creeping up to the victim and peering under the cubicle to get her.

4. What would you do differently in hindsight?
We didn't actually have time to edit the shot, so if we did I would have rotated it, as the horizon is slightly off, and it is not wonky enough to look deliberate. I would also have gotten rid of the toilet roll in the background, as it is quite distracting and ruins the darkness of the background. I would also have brightened and turned up the contrast to make the blood stand out even more and the surroundings even darker to really make it look sinister.

0 comments: